Facts and insights about Texas public schools
Random header image... Refresh for more!

RYHT Poll: Increased Public Ed Funding, Teacher Pay Are Top Issues

A new poll by Raise Your Hand Texas (RYHT) indicates that the public believes school funding and teacher pay are the top issues facing the 86th Texas Legislature. Most give their local schools and local teachers high marks—a grade of either “A” or “B.”

In addition to having a favorable view of local public schools and teachers, Texans think the state needs to invest more in public education and support transparency and accountability for results. However, they don’t support tying school funding to the results of standardized tests.

It’s also interesting to note most Texans mistakenly believe that the state covers a significantly larger share of education funding than it actually does. Most believe the state pays most of the cost or pays a share equal to property taxes. It does not. This year, the projected state share of education funding is 38 percent of the total cost, leaving property taxpayers to cover the rest (62 percent).

Read “Texas Public Education Perceptions Poll” by RYHT.

January 22, 2019